Press Release





The Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development has noted with great concern the practice of illegal occupation and use of allocated and leased land from this ministry, local government authorities and Malawi Housing Corporation. This practice is against the law governing land administration and management in the country. 

The Ministry wishes to remind the general public that that under the current Land Act, Cap. 57: 01, the Ministry is legally mandated to administer both Public Land and Customary Land. However, the Ministry, through the respective plot allocation committees directly allocates public land located within the boundaries of the cities of Blantyre, Lilongwe, Zomba and Mzuzu. The Ministry also allocates land to local government authorities and Malawi Housing Corporation for further allocation to prospective developers.

Frequently Asked Questions?

Q. I want to know if my property is registered?

A. Yes – when we find the plot number stated by the applicant, it is in our records. No – when we cannot find the plot in our records.

Q. I want a consent i.e. a consent to transfer, consent to charge or a consent to sub-lease?

A. You submit your application through lawyers of your choice, who will submit to our office on your behalf and pay the consent fee of K1,000.00

Q. I want to lease a land?

A. If the land is under MG, you submit applications through regional land office, who prepare legal lease documents for registration at the Land Registry, after all legal requirements have been complied with. If the land belongs to other stakeholders, application of their format are processed by them and at the Land Registry they submit legal documents for registration. Therefore a lease is granted by the landlord, MG, City Assembly, MHC etc.

Q. I want a Land Certificate or Certificate of Lease?

A. The Applicant is asked for the plot number and if the property was registered and a certificate not issued, we ask the applicant to pay K500.00, being the certificate fee, and the certificate is issue. But if the certificate issued already is lost the applicant is advised to advertise then, after 21 days, a new certificate is issued.

Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development Reforms

The Ministry is implementing reforms in line with the current Government agenda to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the public services. Some of the reforms require lengthy period to be fully implemented whereas others require a shorter period. The following are three reform areas to be implemented by the Ministry: